During the “Stay At Home” order, many of Cincinnati Parks’ trails and open spaces can continue to be used in a safe manner that allows people to enjoy the health benefits these spaces provide. In all instances though, it is critical to follow Centers for Disease Control and general public health guidelines during the current pandemic. If you follow a few simple guidelines, parks will remain safe places to visit during this stressful time.
Recommendations for park users on observing social distancing minimums
- Follow CDC’s guidance on personal hygiene prior to heading out. Wash your hands, carry hand sanitizer, do not use trails if you have symptoms, cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, etc.
- Observe the CDC’s minimum recommended social distancing of at least six feet from other people. Maintain it at all times when in the park, even when passing others on trails and sidewalks.
- Warn other trail users of your presence as you pass to allow proper distance and step off trails to allow others to pass.
- Note that most public restrooms are closed. Avoid using open bathrooms when possible. Time your outings so that you are not dependent on public restrooms.
- Bring your own water or drinks. Public drinking fountains should not be used, even if they are operable. Do not touch surfaces.
- Bring a suitable trash bag. Practice Leave No Trace and “Pack it In, Pack It Out” with your trash. This will help avoid overloaded trashcans and protect Cincinnati Parks workers.
- Visit the park alone or with your immediate family or roommates– those whom you live with. Don’t meet up with large friend groups.
- Remember that playgrounds are closed, even if there is no sign saying so. Do not touch surfaces.
- If a park seems crowded, where appropriate social distancing cannot occur, leave and choose another park.
Parks provide numerous mental and physical health benefits that are crucial during this difficult time. Only if we all agree to use our parks safely will they be able to remain open to all. Please follow these safety guidelines strictly while enjoying your neighborhood park.